Varieties of Grass
At Liberty Sod Farm we strive to provide the highest quality grass to our customers. We start with the highest quality seed (Gold Tag Seed). We use three types of sod grass that are best suited for our region that will thrive in a sunshade mix along and be able to last through the heat of summer and the cold winter.
Kentucky Bluegrass is the most widely used turfgrass in the Tri-State area. About 95% of all lawns and parks are Kentucky Bluegrass. Bluegrass produces a fine dense textured turf which can stand up to heavy traffic and use. Bluegrass is a rhizomatous turf that spreads through underground roots (or rhizomes) and produces new grass plants to stay dense and thick. It is deep green in color and is very heat and cold tolerant. Bluegrass also is very drought resistant and will go dormant in the heat of the summer if not watered. Once it cools down in the fall and warms up in the spring, bluegrass fills itself in. If you want a fine lawn that can take a lot of abuse from kids and dogs, bluegrass is an excellent choice.
- Can become dormant & survive 1 to 2 months without irrigation once it is established
- Most common choice for this area
- Best option for high traffic area, children, or pets
Fescue is sometimes used due to its ability to go longer between watering. Fescue is able to develop a deep root system in properly amended, deep tilled so it can capture water from a greater soil depth. This can translate into less irrigation or fewer waterings per week. Tall Fescue is very heat and cold tolerant, it has good green color and a medium size blade.
- Can root very deep and pulls water from deeper down in the soil.
- Deep soil prep is recommended prior to sodding. (link to Preparing for Sod)
- Good turf quality, medium green, medium texture
A blend of Kentucky Blue Grass, Tall Fescue, and Micro-Clover know as the "lazy Yard". Our organic hybrid product does not require fertilizer or pesticides. It pulls nitrogen from the air to naturally fertilize the grass plants. Our Microclover blend will improve lawn color, increase drought tolerance, and crowd out the weeds. This product is the ideal choice for anyone looking to have an instant yard with little work.
- Drought Resistant
- Does well in full sun to partially shaded areas
- Very easy to grow and establish
- Fixes soil nitrogen for a green, lush, thick lawn